Dwarves With A Passion
March 28, 2024, 10:03:29 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New Readers: This is NOT the official DF forum!
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/

Home Help Search Staff List Login Register  

Door Durability

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Door Durability  (Read 3302 times)
LeonidasRex
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« on: October 28, 2008, 04:32:35 pm »

Are there any creatures in the current version that can break down doors, grates, walls, etc.  And if so, which things are breakable?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

slink
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 05:00:20 pm »

Dragons can break down doors and rip up floor grates.  I guess that means anything under the Build menu.
Report Spam   Logged
Wolfking6116
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 05:15:50 pm »

Any creature with the [BUILDINGDESTROYER] tag can destroy any building. I think.

Known ones are... Trolls, Dragons, Titans, Bronze Col., Ogres, Ettins, Scorpions, Giant Spiders, and I cant think of any more. Mind you I'm not -certain- about all of these.
Report Spam   Logged
tcei
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 05:23:55 pm »

Im fairly certain any mega beast will, as will trolls, and demons
Report Spam   Logged
Chaoticjosh
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 05:29:15 pm »

so, they can destroy ANY building? even walls?
Report Spam   Logged
Wolfking6116
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 05:34:56 pm »

Walls are basically counted as part of the natural terrain once they are built,
hence why you can't view them with Q or T after construction.(At least I remember reading this somewhere.)

It would be -awesome- if they could destroy buildings, but they cannot.
Report Spam   Logged
GreyMario
Bay Watcher

The Original Starvation Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 06:04:57 pm »

Walls == construction == man-made terrain != destructable by [BUILDINGDESTROYER].
Report Spam   Logged
LeonidasRex
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 06:22:06 pm »

Sounds like there's some disagreement on that one.  In an older version, I recall that nothing could break down a bridge in the up position.  Is that still true?

And when one of these building destroyers does its pathing, does it plow right through buildings, or does it try to go around?
Report Spam   Logged
Chaoticjosh
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 08:01:01 pm »

wait greymario, are you saying that walls are or aren't destructible?

i'll continue this conversation in the original forum if i have to, because i love my walls.
Report Spam   Logged
duke 2.0
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 09:04:54 pm »

Walls are immune to everything except gravity. Raised bridges likely can be destroyed, but a channel right before it will make it impossible to break.

Also note: It has been observed that destroying buildings uses the same pathfinding as flying. Thus if something cannot path to the other side of a building, it cannot be destroyed. However, this is bust a rumor. Who knows? Likely someone will debunk this.
Report Spam   Logged
martinuzz
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 09:08:44 pm »

As far as I know, walls, floors, ramps and stairs are not destructable, even by creatures with the building destroyer tag.

It could be possible however, that wooden walls, floors, ramps and stairs can be burned by fire breathing creatures. Don't know, never play with temperature on for FPS sake.
I highly doubt it however, for this would have provided tons of awesome stories and screenshots, which I haven's seen.
Report Spam   Logged
martinuzz
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 09:17:33 pm »

Also note: It has been observed that destroying buildings uses the same pathfinding as flying. Thus if something cannot path to the other side of a building, it cannot be destroyed. However, this is bust a rumor. Who knows? Likely someone will debunk this.

It seems to be that way. I never used the exploit, but if you get a siege with trolls, and you lock all doors leading in to your fortress (if you have a setup that makes that possible ofcourse) BEFORE unpausing the game, the trolls will not destroy the doors, because they haven't seen a path into your fortress.
If you lock the doors later, however, the trolls will already have pathed through the doors and come to destroy them.
Report Spam   Logged
pavlov
Escaped Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 10:41:07 pm »

I am positive that *used* to be the cases for fliers but no longer. In 40d I have dug a channel into an HFS infested room and had some flying HFS come right up into the fort.
Report Spam   Logged
slink
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2008, 10:56:30 pm »

Well, when I said Build, I should have said Build-except-Build/Construction.  I think it's the same stuff that magma destroys.

I was very much amazed the first time a dragon came through and carefully destroyed every one of my stone floor grates which were supposed to keep out the riff-raff from my light channels over my indoor gardens.  It was then that I learned to make glass blocks. 

Then I learned that stone blocks transmit light every bit as well as glass, in DF.   Cheesy

Isn't the fire breath of the dragon amazing?  I was astonished at how good it looked, in an ASCII game.
Report Spam   Logged
Another
Escaped Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2008, 03:29:49 am »

I know that wooden walls (and trees as well) and not-bauxite carved upward stairways are absolutely immune to magma in any position. That should indicate that any construction is immune to any fire.
I suspect that magma can be blocked by impassable tiles of a workshop constructed of soap.

And don't forget that building destroyers will be happy to deconstruct your windmills, gear assemblies and pumps.

I've heard that trying to crush or put to a fly megabeasts and worse will destroy your bridge instead in the latest versions. I didn't verify it because legendary marksdwarves were faster.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum