Dwarves With A Passion
March 29, 2024, 04:16:47 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New Readers: This is NOT the official DF forum!
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/

Home Help Search Staff List Login Register  

Dwarf Fortress: Twisted Lands.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress: Twisted Lands.  (Read 3014 times)
Deon
Bay Watcher

Dwarf Drunk

View Profile
« on: October 28, 2008, 12:00:22 pm »

I was a bit tired with different "total conversions" and components I've wrote and I am planning to make something complete. The main goal is again to add some fun while leaving the game atmosphere mostly intact and maybe to emphasize some game features (i.e. cannibal elves gain gloomy personality etc.).

The current list of features:

Graphics:
-graphic tilesets from Sphr and Bane18; sorted and set for all the creatures.
-various graphical tweaks to existing ones to make new creatures in the same style.
-Izenherts character tileset with various tweaks to increase readability of text; some images replaced back with symbols; all trees are adjusted for the right tiles.
-accent removal text files are used: all the names include latin letters only to remove object symbols from the names.

Mechanics:
-You can activate/deactivate any stone (not only economic) on the 'stone' screen (by Sean Mirrsen).
-You can uncut gems/blocks into rough material in smelter for moods (by Metalax).

World diplomacy tweaks:
-elves have diplomat bodyguards.
-goblins have diplomat.
-Various tweaks to ethics; humans are not slavers now, in general they became a bit better while elves became darker.

Tweaks:
-When the world started to twist the first creatures affected were the most connected to the world. The Elves: now they live in evil woods and use shadow steeds. They feel the pain of the land. They wield evil-looking weapons and terrifying armors.
-wolves are not avaliable in shrubland regions now, wild dogs which have abandoned their masters and started to breed now replace them there.
-dragons have 2 wings now, however they're too heavy to fly.
-cats have grasping mouth; it's a fix to allow them to carry their prey around.

Minor races:
-Lizardmen are renamed to cave lizardmen (since there're now new Wild Lizarmen species which form tribes)
-Outlaws will sometimes send ambushes to capture some loot. However people are clumsy and don't hide.

Additions:
-wild lizardmen living in swamps  (they finally evolved from the cave stage and now are at a tribe stage); can't speak -> no diplomacy -> always at war.
-Outlaws (humans) act like kobolds (loot-wise) but they cannot sneak.
-frost imps and jungle imps.
-wild dogs; capturable, tameable and trainable.
-golden unicorns.
-drakes (small dragons; with wings), semimegabeasts, fliers.
-undeads like in Dig Deeper mod by the13ronin (lich, ghoul, vampire, ancient vampire); graphics and small tweaks by me.

I want to try to rely on community more and while implementing my own ideas (as usual) I'd like to gain some of your perls. Maybe we can make it better together Smiley.

Current goals:
Twisted lands: Tier 1 mod.
The lands of Enchanted Universe are not as quiet as before. Every singe world which appears every moment is a bit tainted, evil creatures increase their number and the nature itself is changing. The first sentient creatures to react are elves because they are closely tied to the force of the world. They became more hideous and withdrew in darker and more distinct corners of the world (evil biomes). They feel that it's their duty to move onward with the world and to accept it as it is but by doing so they started to lose their personalities turning from tree-hugging nature-lovers to grim defenders of the twisted nature.
New species spawn around the world, new cults and prophecies are born.
Short stout nation is working under hills. They remained the same for thousands of years with all their grudges, wars and inner conflicts. They still act like a good woking mechanism, mining stones and forging metals. But how long will it stay so? It's time for the dwarves to adapt or to die off in the new, twisted world.

If I will like this one there're possible tier 2 or maybe even 3 mods where the world will crumble into chaos more and more finally reaching the Hell state.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 05:39:55 pm by Deon » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Deon
Bay Watcher

Dwarf Drunk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 12:06:50 pm »

The post is reserved for something.

Just to make it clearer why this is no download file yet: I don't consider this mod anywhere near complete and currently playtest the new features to avoid some very stupid bugs which I can make easily.
Also I wait for new original ideas to appear in mind mind or to be proposed here.
Report Spam   Logged
darkedone02
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 02:26:28 pm »

Farming, how are you going to change it? I dislike it when my crops auto-deselect every year, and I don't remember to change it back. Even when I making large plantations of different farm goods for my dwarfs to grow and collect. Can you change that where it won't auto-deselect every year so I have a good control of plants to brew, used for cloth and used for food?

Also what new materials are you going to add into the game? The Gloomy Elves titled is too... original. At least named it where it does sound unique. Since your elves consume other beings and feel the pain of others, Chaos Elves fit in mind but something that is not original.
Report Spam   Logged
Deon
Bay Watcher

Dwarf Drunk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 05:36:51 pm »

For tier 2 they may go as chaos elves. For now they are just elves; I didn't change the name (I don't see a reason to call then Chaos Elves when there're not generic "elves" to compare).

Game mechanics like crop selection are coded by Toady and only he can do anything with it. Modders can change/add things (creatures, races, items, words, materials) but not gameplay features.

I'm thinking of some fantasy materials to feel the gap (steel <-> adamantine).
Report Spam   Logged
Yougiedeggs
Escaped Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 06:54:59 pm »

For tier 2 they may go as chaos elves. For now they are just elves; I didn't change the name (I don't see a reason to call then Chaos Elves when there're not generic "elves" to compare).

Game mechanics like crop selection are coded by Toady and only he can do anything with it. Modders can change/add things (creatures, races, items, words, materials) but not gameplay features.

I'm thinking of some fantasy materials to feel the gap (steel <-> adamantine).
Mythril would fit right after steel.
Report Spam   Logged
Deon
Bay Watcher

Dwarf Drunk

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 09:38:26 am »

Mythril is something from "common" fantasy which fits dwarves very well.

For those of you who can't stand graphical versions, here's a screenshot from my elf-hunting game (almost every human, even farmers, wear elf bone crafts and a lot of people are living in forest retreats which are highly populated and had a lot of buildings are built, and the only elves left alive are shopkeepers).

http://i35.tinypic.com/316nql4.jpg
Report Spam   Logged
mikemayday
Escaped Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 09:48:05 am »

"You can activate/deactivate any stone (not only economic) on the 'stone' screen (by Sean Mirrsen)."

THIS!!! HOW DO YOU DO THIS?!
Report Spam   Logged
Deon
Bay Watcher

Dwarf Drunk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 12:38:11 pm »

You just should have a "dummy" reaction file with empty name which takes every type of stone as reagent and produces nothing.  Take a look at the files.
(reaction_economic.txt)
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum