Dwarves With A Passion
March 28, 2024, 05:56:08 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Dwarves With A Passion!

Home Help Search Staff List Login Register  

Real time action

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Real time action  (Read 3316 times)
Chaoticjosh
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« on: October 28, 2008, 08:58:59 am »

the very slow nature of DF had me thinking, pretty much every command on the keyboard pauses the game, but what if that wasn't so? What if their was an optional setting so that a player could NEVER pause the game, and had to place buildings and give commands in real-time?

then again, it's probably a bad idea as it would just be adding another layer of difficulty to the game. maybe the **** would like it though.

a mini-map would be nice too, i can't remember all the times i've gotten lost on my huge map and had to use U->C to center on a dwarf just so i could find my fort.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 09:02:59 am by Chaoticjosh » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

duke 2.0
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 10:25:14 am »

Perhaps with a better UI and better intelligence on part of the dwarves(And the spacebar always available tp pause), it could work.

But we need to keep the spacebar pause.
Report Spam   Logged
Sean Mirrsen
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 12:33:27 pm »

I'd like realtime in adventure mode. But, realtime like the realtime in Mount&Blade - time passes as long as you do something. So, you click on a tile to go there - and time unfreezes and you and everyone else move until you stop. Same thing for combat, inventory manipulation, etc.
Report Spam   Logged
JoRo
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 04:03:55 pm »

Sometimes I do think it would be handy to be able to have time continue on as I place cabinets and chests into like 90+ bedrooms.
Report Spam   Logged
jaybud4
The Great?
Administrator
Bay Gull

☼Tech Guru☼

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 04:25:03 pm »

We DO have a minimap.
Press Tab until it shows up.
Report Spam   Logged
Chaoticjosh
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 05:32:33 pm »

We DO have a minimap.
Press Tab until it shows up.

oh, silly me missing obvious things like that.

I've never played mount&blade mirrsen, but that sounds very similar to what is already in place.

and i agree the space pause would still be their, but you wouldn't be able to do anything during it besides look around, or else that would defeat the purpose of the suggestion.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 05:35:53 pm by Chaoticjosh » Report Spam   Logged
Sean Mirrsen
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 07:27:12 pm »

Well, it is a little similar, but. Right now you can only do one action at a time, or one step at a time. What I'd like instead is have the world inherently run as realtime, and smartpause every time you don't do anything. So, you tell yourself to go to the top of the keep, and the world will come alive until you arrive at the designated place. You tell yourself to cut down a tree and the world unpauses and keeps going until you stop. It would be a logical step in implementing adventure mode skills.
Report Spam   Logged
forsaken1111
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 09:19:32 pm »

Also, if you're getting lost and unable to find your fortress you aren't using the hotkeys. You can bind a function key to a map location and give it a name. I use it to jump from farms to fortress to obsidian-maker to waterworks all the time on my big fortress.
Report Spam   Logged
LegacyCWAL
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 12:58:25 pm »

And even if you don't mess with the hotkeys, I believe F1 is set to your wagon's location by default.  So if you get lost, you can always hit F1 and hopefully be able to find your fort from there.
Report Spam   Logged
PSimon23
Escaped Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 07:47:43 am »

I decided to give a hand and sent a post into social bookmarks. I hope the popularity will rise in.
Report Spam   Logged

I'm on Twitter and my essay
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum