Dwarves With A Passion
March 28, 2024, 11:51:28 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New Readers: This is NOT the official DF forum!
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/

Home Help Search Staff List Login Register  

Road to tomorrow

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Road to tomorrow  (Read 1834 times)
Chaoticjosh
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« on: October 28, 2008, 08:17:39 am »

so yeah, i realized recently that i have not recieved a human or dwarven caravan in a long time, and checking the (D)epot access, i see that the forest surrounding my fort is FAR too dense to allow caravans through. so i've begun another project, a massive road that is will stretch from my fort to the edge of the map to allow a caravan's passage.

what worries me though is that my dwarves may be ambushed while they are out of the safety of the fort, so i'm having my remaining 3 soldiers (one died of suffocation recently, so now its three) patrol up and down the roads construction site to minimize the chances of my civilian dwarves getting attacked. is this a good idea in anyone's opinion.

all my beginning 25 war dogs are now uncontrollable, in a rather heartbreaking way. the two soldiers that had been assigned half the dogs died in the ambush i described in another topic, and now all the dogs keep walking back and further between my fort and the place their master was struck down. the soldier that suffocated had the other half and now all his dogs just wander around the barracks. their doggy sadness is palpable! they still attack kobold theives though.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Deon
Bay Watcher

Dwarf Drunk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 10:39:47 am »

You can tie some of your dogs at your entrance to provide stationary but stable defence against thieves.
Report Spam   Logged
susancreature
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 11:11:04 am »

Just as an fyi (in case you weren't aware) the guard suffocating bit is caused when they get damaged in the throat (I believe).  The biggest culprit is guards sparring with weapons and no armor, or with armor and poor armor wearing ability.  Have your guards train in wrestling with their armor on for a while before giving them weapons to avoid it Smiley

(I lost more guards that way before I figured it out...)
Report Spam   Logged
Philosopher
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 11:28:01 am »

Underground roads and YOU!

you can build your road underground! it must be 3 spaces wide, and free from obstruction. there must be a row of 3 ramps to help wagons into the tunnel. once underground, you can set as many traps as you like, as well as gaurd animals.

with an underground road, you can wall the outside off in safety, with this narrow trade route the only vunerability. done properly it can be a mega-project.

remember, all you need is a couple kittens to reveal ambushes. the rest is all about the traps.
Report Spam   Logged
duke 2.0
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 11:42:35 am »

Actually, the only things animals can detect that traps cannot are thieves. Ambushes are detected by traps the normal way, I think. Thus put your detectors after the hallway of traps unless you wish to deal with a population problem.
Report Spam   Logged
Refar
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 03:23:22 pm »

This is only half of the truth ^^
Ambushers will trigger traps (and die Grin), when they walk into them, but they will not be "detected" - you get no notification and the guys who were not killed by the trap remain stealthed.
So some "visual detection" alongside the traps is still good to have.
Report Spam   Logged
slink
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 03:43:37 pm »

I think what Duke is saying is that putting your traps closer to the outside world than your dogs, will save on dogs.  Otherwise the dogs get used up fighting goblins who would otherwise succumb to traps.

I have ten rows of 3 traps on my trade road.  Before I rearranged things, I had two dogs tied just inside those traps.  Goblin archers killed them.  Now I have the Trade Depot further down the road, past a small courtyard.  Overlooking the courtyard is a watchtower with fortifications which are manned (dwarfed?) by marksdwarves during caravan visits.  The wall surrounding the courtyard has several sets of double doors into the rest of the settlement.  My sentry dogs are tied up just behind these doors.  Thus they can detect stealthed invaders while staying outside of bowshot range of the traps.  They are in pairs, and they have killed everything that they detected so far.
Report Spam   Logged
susancreature
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 06:07:56 pm »

I feel incredibly inspired by the underground road idea!

Definitely going to have that in my next fortress.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum