Dwarves With A Passion
March 28, 2024, 07:19:39 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New Readers: This is NOT the official DF forum!
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/

Home Help Search Staff List Login Register  

water based elevator for swimming dwarves

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: water based elevator for swimming dwarves  (Read 2786 times)
micro102
Escaped Lunatic

View Profile
« on: October 28, 2008, 02:23:04 am »

i was thinking of ways to make an elevator so goblins wouldnt be able to reach all of my fortress no matter how many trolls they had. and i came across the idea of a 4-6 Z-level deep pit that would be connected to a river and would pump water up to a certian point.

the only thing that i can think would be a problem would be....if there is more then one z-level of water, will dwarves float to the top?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

forsaken1111
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 03:09:05 am »

While it would work in theory, if the dwarves had high swimming skill, they tend to drown pretty quick so its hard to get them to gain swimming xp. In fact I've never seen them do so, ever. Every time I've seen a dwarf go in water they have gone unconscious and then drowned quickly.
Report Spam   Logged
Zorgn
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 05:27:31 am »

I've heard about this idea before, and I thought it was shown impossible, regardless of swimming skill. Memory's real hazy on this. Probably didn't float.

Could I suggest bridges and moats for dealing with trolls? A hell of a lot simpler, and has a habit of stopping sieges cold.
Report Spam   Logged
Time Kitten
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 02:31:54 pm »

I recommend a single switch that makes a wall of obsidian across all your entrances.  Retracting bridge drops water onto the path, then several z levels higher the same happens with magma.

Bonus points: have all your miners outside doing some other project when the siege occurs.
Report Spam   Logged
shoruke
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 07:34:33 pm »

Maybe you could do something like this...

|~~~~~~>|
|>~~~~~<|
|<~~~~~>|
|>~~~~~<|
|<~~~~~~+   

Legend:
|    wall
~   water
< and >  staircases
+   door
underlined stuff has a floor...

This is more of a submerged stairwell, and the dwarves will be able to walk up it but the enemies won't be able to get down. (if the dwarves can hold their breath long enough, that is...)

You also might want an 'airlock' to stop dwarves from having an excuse to not go in there. If you submerge them in a room outside the door and then quickly unlock it, they'll have no choice but to swim for it.

If this doesn't work don't blame or hate me, it's just a theory and I have never ever tested it and it's so dwarven someone's likely to die.
Report Spam   Logged
GreyMario
Bay Watcher

The Original Starvation Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 01:27:15 pm »

Dwarves will choose to never path through water unless they're stuck in it. Ever.

So no.
Report Spam   Logged
AndrNicks
Escaped Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2018, 05:12:22 am »

Many people love to use water for the swimming purpose as it leads for goof use of things. The level of water is essential as if there will be more water than its against the level. The use of best best assignment writing services uk is for good and quality essay completion.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum