Dwarves With A Passion
March 28, 2024, 06:36:42 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Dwarves With A Passion!

Home Help Search Staff List Login Register  

Most importand modded features for you.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Most importand modded features for you.  (Read 3102 times)
Deon
Bay Watcher

Dwarf Drunk

View Profile
« on: October 27, 2008, 12:16:50 pm »

I'd like forummates to post here which things/ideas do they miss in the vanilla game and explain why are they so important. I am making a mod which doesn't alter gameplay dramatically and it doesn't add any major civs (except for 1 skulking "outlaw" race; something more interesting than kobolds to harrass you). I try to add small things from different authors like manual stone selection and deblocker/uncutter; basically I want to make the game more fun while leaving the same atmosphere. So I though that maybe someone's ideas are great and are just waiting to be implemented right now...

I've just started this little mod today so the list of features is no very big (they are all playtested and working):

Graphics:
-graphic tilesets from Sphr and Bane18; sorted and set for all the creatures.
-various graphical tweaks to existing ones to make new creatures in the same style.
-Izenherts character tileset with various tweaks to increase readability of text; some images replaced back with symbols; all trees adjusted for the right tiles.
-accent removal text files are used: all the names include latin letters only to remove object symbols from the names.

Mechanics:
-You can activate/deactivate any stone (not only economic) on the 'stone' screen (by Sean Mirrsen).
-You can uncut gems/blocks into rough material in smelter for moods (by Metalax).

World diplomacy tweak:
-elves have diplomat's and merchants' bodyguards.
-goblins have diplomat.

Tweaks:
-wolves are not avaliable in shrubland regions now, wild dogs replace them.
-dragons have 2 wings now, however they're too heavy to fly.
-cats have grasping mouth; it's a fix to allow them to carry their prey around.

Minor races:
-Lizardmen are renamed to cave lizardmen (since there're now new Wild Lizarmen species which form tribes)
-Outlaws will sometimes send ambushes to capture some loot. However people are clumsy and don't hide.

Additions:
-wild lizardmen living in swamps; can't speak -> no diplomacy -> always at war.
-frost imps and jungle imps.
-wild dogs; capturable, tameable and trainable.
-golden unicorns.
-drakes (small dragons; with wings), semimegabeasts, fliers.
-undeads from Dig Deeper mod by the13ronin (lich, ghoul, vampire, ancient vampire); graphics by me.

Any suggestions are very welcome. I want to finish this mod before starting to play DF again.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 12:23:50 pm by Deon » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jaybud4
The Great?
Administrator
Bay Gull

☼Tech Guru☼

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 12:37:00 pm »

Might I suggest a non-tileset version for those of us who can't stand them?
Report Spam   Logged
Deon
Bay Watcher

Dwarf Drunk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 01:01:19 pm »

Might I suggest a non-tileset version for those of us who can't stand them?

You can always set "GRAPHICS:NO" in your /data/init/init.txt
So, Jaybud, don't you have any favourite things you'd like to add in this list? Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
jaybud4
The Great?
Administrator
Bay Gull

☼Tech Guru☼

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 01:12:55 pm »

What about It's The Small Things aka Engravings Mod/Speech Mod/Prefstrings Mod?
Report Spam   Logged
Kate Wissen
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 03:08:26 am »

The only mod feature I would add is the combat text to be an on/off in fortress mode. I do so miss the epic combats.
Report Spam   Logged
forsaken1111
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 03:11:32 am »

Ability to suggest a theme for engravings? I would love to have a "Hall of History" with an entire hallway engraved along the walls with historical events. When I tried this, however, I got random stupid engravings of cats and mushrooms and cheese with only 2 historical events, neither about my fortress.
Report Spam   Logged
Mad Larks
Escaped Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 05:47:03 pm »

Hmm. Personally, I love the Mineral Mod, since it adds a bucket of new stuff and metals I can play around with. (Oh Goresteel, how I love thee). Either that or the Clockwork race...I think I'll cut this short and just say "Yay for Modbase!" and the sample mods available for it. My dwarves now have fedoras.

<off-topic>Also, I sneer in the general directions of tardied-up DF! Seriously, any break from the current graphics in DF just makes me think how wrong it looks. Or rather, Wrong. Its not 'cause its obviously wrong, but its just playing with tilesets looks and feels weird</off-topic>
Report Spam   Logged
jaybud4
The Great?
Administrator
Bay Gull

☼Tech Guru☼

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 05:51:00 pm »

Ability to suggest a theme for engravings? I would love to have a "Hall of History" with an entire hallway engraved along the walls with historical events. When I tried this, however, I got random stupid engravings of cats and mushrooms and cheese with only 2 historical events, neither about my fortress.
Cannot be done through modding.
You COULD, however, try leveling up your engravers.
An engraver with any amount of skill (and an actual event to engrave) will make hundreds upon hundreds of historical engravings.
Report Spam   Logged
Deon
Bay Watcher

Dwarf Drunk

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 06:19:28 pm »

I usually play with modbase too. I just like to do some "finished" things even if they won't be needed by many. I just enjoy the process and the result Smiley.

I've started "twisted lands" project, let's see how it goes. For now the most significant feature is that elves became nastier than gobbos.
Report Spam   Logged
forsaken1111
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 09:28:34 pm »

Cannot be done through modding.
You COULD, however, try leveling up your engravers.
An engraver with any amount of skill (and an actual event to engrave) will make hundreds upon hundreds of historical engravings.

Yeah maybe in theory, but this was a legendary engraver (from a mood) and I had high quality or masterpiece engravings of his cat fluffy mcfuckwit or whatever its name was in 8 different spots, and apparently he loved dwarven cheese... there WERE some historical engravings but the mix was rather annoying.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum