Dwarves With A Passion
April 19, 2024, 02:37:51 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Dwarves With A Passion!

Home Help Search Staff List Login Register  

Gem cutting problem

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gem cutting problem  (Read 1667 times)
vooood
Escaped Lunatic

View Profile
« on: October 27, 2008, 07:42:30 am »

Hello!

I just started this game and my cca 12th fortress.. I have a problem with the leader dwarf (one with gem cutting) not wanting to cut any gems (saying he needs that gem) even though the rough gems are in the next room (accessible!!) and he also won't leave the jeweler's workshop.. He just stands there with no job..

What to do?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Boksi
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 08:13:38 am »

It's obvious.

Some tiles of any given workshop are walkable and others aren't. This can be seen by the distribution of light green and dark green tiles when building.

The unwalkable tiles have blocked off your leader dorf's exit and he's going to die unless you either make another exit or demolish the workshop :3
Report Spam   Logged
vooood
Escaped Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 08:31:01 am »

It's obvious.

Some tiles of any given workshop are walkable and others aren't. This can be seen by the distribution of light green and dark green tiles when building.

The unwalkable tiles have blocked off your leader dorf's exit and he's going to die unless you either make another exit or demolish the workshop :3

the door was next to the three "floor tiles" and how did he enter there in the first place?
Report Spam   Logged
Gothmog
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 09:27:27 am »

It is actually quite possible for a dwarf to build a building ARROUND himself. Happened to me more often than just once.

Not sure about the door thing, though. Better check if it is locked, maybe you accidentally forbade passage or something, stranger things have happened.  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
jaybud4
The Great?
Administrator
Bay Gull

☼Tech Guru☼

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 11:01:09 am »

the door was next to the three "floor tiles" and how did he enter there in the first place?
Uh, no.
DARK green is UNWALKABLE.
Light green is good.
The three tiles you're seeing are the walls of the workshop.
He got in because they build from the center before the walls are built.
Report Spam   Logged
forsaken1111
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 10:55:21 pm »

To avoid this put the workshops in 5x5 rooms, or a 7x7 with the middle gone and put 4 workshops inside. Or just pay attention when putting it down where the unwalkable areas are..
Report Spam   Logged
Marlowe
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 11:14:30 pm »

4x3 is enough to get around this problem. In any case, isn't it just the Bowyers and Jewelers workshops that have this problem.
Report Spam   Logged
MMad
Escaped Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 08:34:07 am »

4x3 is enough to get around this problem. In any case, isn't it just the Bowyers and Jewelers workshops that have this problem.

Bowyers' and Jewelers' workshops block a whole left or right side, yes, so if you put all your workshops in 3x3 rooms (which I try to do in general, to be able to lock up soon-to-be-crazy dwarves) you'll need to watch out for this if you put the door on the right or left side. If you put doors on the middle top or bottom square though, I believe all are safe. That's all I need to remember, since I prefer to always place doors in the middle of one side of a small room.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum