Dwarves With A Passion
March 28, 2024, 11:39:34 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Dwarves With A Passion!

Home Help Search Staff List Login Register  

Bug in "depot access" view can be exploited to find underground features

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bug in "depot access" view can be exploited to find underground features  (Read 2731 times)
marginoferror
Escaped Lunatic

View Profile
« on: October 26, 2008, 08:26:06 pm »

I just found out that if you press "D" to go into the Depot Access view, you can tell which underground blocks have and have not been read into memory, and so you can more or less pinpoint feature like the chasm, magma, adamantine/pits, etc.  Blocks that have not been allocated will be shown as entirely "depot inaccessible" even though none of their tiles have been revealed, whereas blocks that have been allocated will properly display nothing in unrevealed tiles.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Brian
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 08:35:57 pm »

Well this isn't new. It's pretty handy. I wouldn't mind one way or another if they fix it.  It's something you got to go out of your way in order to exploit. I dunno what the policy is here on that kind of thing.
Report Spam   Logged
jaybud4
The Great?
Administrator
Bay Gull

☼Tech Guru☼

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 08:42:02 pm »

I saw this once before.
Never could figure out how knowing which blocks have been allocated and which have not helps you find features...
Report Spam   Logged
marginoferror
Escaped Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 08:49:27 pm »

Jaybud, simply put, all blocks that contain features are allocated by default.  If it's allocated, and you haven't designated a dig there, then there must be a feature in that block on that level.
Report Spam   Logged
forsaken1111
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 08:53:30 pm »

Extremely helpful for finding that cave river that is "Somewhere on the left side of a 6x6 region, between level 134 and 145."
Report Spam   Logged
slink
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 11:31:47 am »

I read this elsewhere and tried it back when I was first starting the fortress which I am currently playing. It did not reveal anything, even though there is a nice big magma vent in one corner which I eventually located with a search grid on the lowest level.  I had already sunk a shaft all the way down.  Does it matter if one has already dug on a level, whether the bug works for one as advertised?
Report Spam   Logged
jaybud4
The Great?
Administrator
Bay Gull

☼Tech Guru☼

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 11:39:45 am »

If you've dug in a block, it's allocated.
It doesn't allocate down, but if you dig out the entire bottom level, the entire map is allocated.
Thus it works best if the feature is below you and you haven't even designated a dig on or below its level at all.
Report Spam   Logged
slink
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 01:16:55 pm »

Yeah, that's what I figured.  All I got was red flashing where I had dug, and since I had dug all the way down before I read about the bug, it was too late top find the magma tube that way.

Never mind, old-fashioned pick-work found it.   Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum