Dwarves With A Passion
March 28, 2024, 03:42:24 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New Readers: This is NOT the official DF forum!
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/

Home Help Search Staff List Login Register  

Ever capture a live fish?

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ever capture a live fish?  (Read 5795 times)
penguinofhonor
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2008, 09:05:42 pm »

It's because the fish are vermin, which, although always there, are sometimes not visible to the player since they're not really that important. They can also climb up walls.
Report Spam   Logged
forsaken1111
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2008, 09:06:15 pm »

Oh yeah, with modding you can get war-carp.

Actually the warcarp was done in an unmodded 40d game, or so he claimed.

That's a pretty clever idea - tried something similiar once with no luck...

I had a chasm and a river on one board, so I created a waterfall into a pond and let the pond drain into the chasm through some grates.  I was hoping fish would fall over the waterfall, not be able to go back up it, and be caught in the pond because they couldn't swim through the grates.  I did see fish in the pond occasionally, but they didn't seem to stick around for whatever reason.  I have started to think that fish just randomly generate on river/pond tiles, swim around and disappear again after a time.

I have built aquariums from glass and filled them up with water.  I just can't capture any live fish to put in them Sad   The kennel idea sounds interesting, but it seems farfetched - did that really work?  I mean.. warcarp?Huh  Dogs are the only thing I've been able to train into war animals..

There is also a bug/feature that allows moving water to push creatures through bars sometimes, so the fish were probably draining into the chasm...  Cheesy
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 09:08:13 pm by forsaken1111 » Report Spam   Logged
susancreature
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2008, 09:20:21 pm »

The vermin aspect explains why i was able to catch a mussel in an animal trap..  But I could tame other land vermin, not the mussel.  (I can't really imagine how you'd train a mussel anyway..)  I couldn't transfer the mussel in the assign cage screen either for the aquarium.  It just didn't show up on the list.

So cage traps and animal traps in level 4 water seem feasible for catching fishies.  I'll give that a try.  Thanks for all the good info!
Report Spam   Logged
penguinofhonor
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2008, 09:32:14 pm »

That's impossible. Carp don't have the [trAINABLE] tag.
Report Spam   Logged
Brian
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2008, 09:38:38 pm »

Neither do I yet I can ride a bike.

/good night
Report Spam   Logged
forsaken1111
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2008, 10:26:02 pm »

I'm only passing on what I remember. If the forum was up I'd go check the thread. If war training requires that tag then I'm probably remembering incorrectly.
Report Spam   Logged
Zorgn
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2008, 04:11:31 pm »

The carp were modded to allow them to be trainable. The kennel was set up in a pit a believe, that would fill to 4/7 water, drain to 3/7, and repeat. When it hit 4/7, the dwarves ran out of the pit, only going back in when it hit 3/7. I remember reading that more than a few carp air-drowned, but in the end not only were some carp tamed, cut were also trained as war carp.

Absolute pain to set up the filling and draining cycle just right, but doable.
Report Spam   Logged
Time Kitten
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2008, 06:18:08 pm »

Hmmm... did you assign the carp to your fishermen or something?
Report Spam   Logged
Refar
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2008, 06:42:48 pm »

Will tamed Carp breed ? Shocked
Report Spam   Logged
Zorgn
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2008, 08:16:51 pm »

Will tamed Carp breed ? Shocked

I'd think so. But would you really want more of them? They're bad enough in small numbers.

Hmmm... did you assign the carp to your fishermen or something?

?

I haven't actually gone through and tried this particular experiment, as carp scare the hell out of me. I did, however, pay very close attention when this was posted. Had major potential for carnage.

I'm looking through the wayback machine, hoping to find the topic. Last save was in February though, so not much hope there.
Report Spam   Logged
Warlord255
Escaped Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2008, 04:41:47 am »

That's a pretty clever idea - tried something similiar once with no luck...

I had a chasm and a river on one board, so I created a waterfall into a pond and let the pond drain into the chasm through some grates.  I was hoping fish would fall over the waterfall, not be able to go back up it, and be caught in the pond because they couldn't swim through the grates.  I did see fish in the pond occasionally, but they didn't seem to stick around for whatever reason.  I have started to think that fish just randomly generate on river/pond tiles, swim around and disappear again after a time.

I have built aquariums from glass and filled them up with water.  I just can't capture any live fish to put in them Sad   The kennel idea sounds interesting, but it seems farfetched - did that really work?  I mean.. warcarp?Huh  Dogs are the only thing I've been able to train into war animals..

I still want to run a river into a chasm someday.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum