Dwarves With A Passion
March 28, 2024, 07:44:21 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Dwarves With A Passion!

Home Help Search Staff List Login Register  

Ever capture a live fish?

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Ever capture a live fish?  (Read 5797 times)
susancreature
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« on: October 26, 2008, 10:15:16 am »

It's been a dream of mine to have a nice aquarium for my dwarves.  I have never had any luck catching a fish.  I noticed that my fisherdwarf will go hang out next to a trap in a pile and not do anything with it when they're active for trying to catch a live fish. 

Has anyone ever gotten this to work?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Refar
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 10:35:17 am »

What are you mean "ctive for trying to catch a live fish." ?

I dont think it's possible to catch fish - no dwarf fill go in water for a task...
And even if you manage to cage fish, it will "drawn" in the cage anyway.

Try making a channel from your river into the aquarium. Over time some fish will swim in there, then you can cut the access trapin them in the aquarium.
Report Spam   Logged
susancreature
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 10:40:38 am »

In the wiki there is a page devoted to the fishery action "capture live fish." 

"A captured live fish is caught using the "capture live fish" command given at a fishery. A dwarf with the fishing labor will then attempt to catch a fish live using an available animal trap. The fish will then be placed into an available aquarium. "

I've tried following the instructions: got a handy aquarium filled with water, have an available trap or two (metal and wood - in case it there's a preference), a fishery with the action on repeat - in case there's a fail condition to keep trying... and a bored fisherdwarf.. and a bored trapper dwarf  just in case..

never had any luck - wondering if anyone ever has figured this out or if it's buggy?
Report Spam   Logged
Refar
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 10:42:37 am »

Uh... I completely missed the fishery part...
Must give it a try... But i already have killed all the Carp in my current fort Sad
Let's hope some respawn next summer...
Report Spam   Logged
Time Kitten
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 01:53:05 pm »

I think you might need a glass trap in order to catch fish.  I doubt a cage with wire mesh sides or wooden with air holes will work.
Report Spam   Logged
penguinofhonor
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 01:54:41 pm »

You need cage traps to catch carp and other large fish. Animal traps will suffice for vermin fish. I haven't caught any before, but it sounds like fun. Do the fish add to room value? Because then I could fill an aquarium with herring and stick it in my nobles' rooms to remind them about the watery things that will happen if they step out of line.
Report Spam   Logged
toast
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 02:15:56 pm »

i have had a dwarf working for about a day trying to catch fish. he never cancels it, but never catches anything either. just keeps on trying :}
Report Spam   Logged
susancreature
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 04:08:06 pm »

Same deal here, I've left my fishers trying to "capture live fish" for a season and a while.. just never happens.

I've also tried "planting" an animal trap on the side of brooks and lakes and baiting it with meat.  I seem to recall I once captured a mussel that way.  It was a bummer though, because  I found no way to put it in my aquarium, and it wasn't tameable.  My only option was to let the dwarves eventually eat it.   For bigger cage traps - I wonder if you can suspend them, or do they need to be underwater? (So I drain a lake, build it, then pump the lake back full?)

On the subject of animal traps - can you succesfully bait an animal trap with a large gem?  Never had any luck doing that either..
Report Spam   Logged
Brian
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2008, 04:33:32 pm »

I don't see it explicitly mentioned here.. An aquarium is a glass cage.  I've never done it, but I'm pretty sure you can do it.
Report Spam   Logged
penguinofhonor
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2008, 04:41:21 pm »

Someone once caught some carp with a contraption something like this:
Code:
▒≈≈≈≈▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
▒≈≈≈≈▒▒.^..THIS ▒▒
▒≈≈≈≈≈X.^..AREA <▒
▒≈≈≈≈≈X.^..IS   <▒
▒≈≈≈≈▒▒.^..A   K▒▒
▒≈≈≈≈▒▒.^..ENNEL▒▒
▒≈≈≈≈▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
He would open the left floodgates, let fish in, wait till they got trapped, close the left floodgates, pump water out until it was 4/7 water (where fish and dwarves can survive without drowning), and let some animal tamers come in and lead the fish to the kennel where they would be tamed.
Report Spam   Logged
toast
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2008, 04:52:37 pm »

Roll Eyes thats pretty cool. but wth is the point of a tame carp :}. (other than the fact that no one else has one :p)
Report Spam   Logged
penguinofhonor
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2008, 05:33:53 pm »

Step 1: Fill the main hall with goblins.
Step 2: Open the retracting drawbridge, causing many of them to fall into the 7/7 water pit of carp. Watch them get torn apart and/or drown.
Step 3: Watch some other goblins run up to the pit, trying to kill the carp. Watch as they get pulled in and drown and/or get torn apart.

This can happen with non-tamed carp, but it's harder to get the equipment and stuff.
Report Spam   Logged
forsaken1111
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2008, 08:47:45 pm »

Roll Eyes thats pretty cool. but wth is the point of a tame carp :}. (other than the fact that no one else has one :p)

Well for one thing, the person was able to train him into a Warcarp.

Also he stated that you should never EVER allow a warcarp to get back into the river if you want anything else in there to live. I can only guess that the river ran red.
Report Spam   Logged
penguinofhonor
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2008, 08:57:49 pm »

Oh yeah, with modding you can get war-carp.
Report Spam   Logged
susancreature
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2008, 09:03:48 pm »

That's a pretty clever idea - tried something similiar once with no luck...

I had a chasm and a river on one board, so I created a waterfall into a pond and let the pond drain into the chasm through some grates.  I was hoping fish would fall over the waterfall, not be able to go back up it, and be caught in the pond because they couldn't swim through the grates.  I did see fish in the pond occasionally, but they didn't seem to stick around for whatever reason.  I have started to think that fish just randomly generate on river/pond tiles, swim around and disappear again after a time.

I have built aquariums from glass and filled them up with water.  I just can't capture any live fish to put in them Sad   The kennel idea sounds interesting, but it seems farfetched - did that really work?  I mean.. warcarp?Huh  Dogs are the only thing I've been able to train into war animals..
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum