Dwarves With A Passion
April 19, 2024, 06:12:42 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New Readers: This is NOT the official DF forum!
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/

Home Help Search Staff List Login Register  

Wrestler not picking up ammo

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wrestler not picking up ammo  (Read 1969 times)
Marlowe
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« on: October 26, 2008, 05:58:20 am »

I've just upgraded to 40d and my new fortress currently has a military of 5 wrestlers. Because of the uber-wrestler bug they trained very fast; 2 are now at champion, the others are elite.

Trouble is I really want them to be Marksdwarves. I only started training them in wrestling to build up their physical stats. I've given them all crossbows and they've picked up quivers. We have an archery range. But they don't pick up ammunition. They just go to the barracks and hit each other with their crossbows.

We have a supply of wooden and copper bolts, so that's not an issue. I've made them drop the crossbows and pick them up again repeatedly. I've undesignated the ammo stockpile and designated it again, no result. Any ideas?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Gothmog
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 06:05:18 am »

The same happened to me.
Do they wear any kind of armor? I saw they held any kind of stuff in their hands alongside the crossbows, like... leather high boots, leather helms and such. (probably because I had them wear leather stuff before I changed to Chainmail equipment)

I just told them to wear NO armor at all for training and that seemed to fix the problem for me. Don't know what happens when I want them to be protected for combat again, through.
Report Spam   Logged
Marlowe
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 06:18:49 am »

I checked their inventories and they were ALL holding an item of armour in their left hand. I ordered these dumped and reclaimed (cue sudden rush of wrestlers to the garbage dump to get their helms and boots back) and they went and fetched ammunition immediately.

Thanks for the quick response and I think that might help with your problem too.
Report Spam   Logged
susancreature
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 06:31:01 am »

Slightly related to this topic..   Is it a known bug that military dwarves can somehow get two sets of armor on their upper torso?  I have dwarves running around wearing chainmail AND platemail, both on "upper body" slots.   Maybe I'm not familiar with armor - is it supposed to be that way?
Report Spam   Logged
Gothmog
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 06:41:35 am »

Slightly related to this topic..   Is it a known bug that military dwarves can somehow get two sets of armor on their upper torso?  I have dwarves running around wearing chainmail AND platemail, both on "upper body" slots.   Maybe I'm not familiar with armor - is it supposed to be that way?

Several of my Axe/Hammer Champions wear both leather and Plate armor.
It could be a feature since you perfectly CAN wear a leather vest under a plate armor IRL, too.
But I can't say the same about "boots under boots" or "caps under helms".
Report Spam   Logged
Deon
Bay Watcher

Dwarf Drunk

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 08:11:00 am »

Platemail over chainmail/leather is not a bug but a feature (but you can't wear a platemail over a platemail, it's tied to the armor "thickness"/"size" parameter which is called "layering" in the armor data file), but with current equipment feature sometimes it's hard to make. But I ensure all my legendaries wear 2 levels of armor, just in case.
Report Spam   Logged
shoruke
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 11:29:20 am »

So if you modded the game, you could make clothes of all different sizes, and have your dwarves wearing 8 (or more, even) layers of boots on top of each other?

Sounds positively dwarven!
Report Spam   Logged
Marlowe
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 11:46:02 pm »

Though what I've never heard answered is whether there's any actual benefit from stacking armour.
Report Spam   Logged
Wolfking6116
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 04:21:11 pm »

It does give a bonus, if I recall correctly.

Now what I'm curious about, how do you -make- them wear two sets of armour?
Report Spam   Logged
Gothmog
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 05:38:05 pm »

It does give a bonus, if I recall correctly.

Now what I'm curious about, how do you -make- them wear two sets of armour?

Assign them to wear one set of armor (lets say chain)
wait until they have picked it up
then make them wear another (better) set (in this case it would be plate)
wait until they have picked the second set up
now your soldiers should wear two sets (operative word being SHOULD, since I regularry see them wear -Leather Boots- on their hands)

Or is there a better and more secure way to do it? I would love to ensure my champions actually wear my masterwork catleather armor under steelplate.  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum