Dwarves With A Passion
March 28, 2024, 06:12:11 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Dwarves With A Passion!

Home Help Search Staff List Login Register  

catching fire imps

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: catching fire imps  (Read 2133 times)
toast
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« on: October 25, 2008, 05:28:28 pm »

i built a wall and traps around the top of a magma pool like the wiki said. but i havent gotten any fire imps out of the magma yet.

am i doing it right? any tips?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Deon
Bay Watcher

Dwarf Drunk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 05:30:46 pm »

How many imps are inside? Try to grab them out with some military.
Report Spam   Logged
shoruke
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 05:39:25 pm »

umm which wiki page said that? AFAIK the only way to catch fire imps would be to set up cage traps all around the volcano...
Report Spam   Logged
toast
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 06:20:16 pm »

there are three imps. I tried building traps all around...didnt do much. its the same idea anyways. the point is that i cant get them out of the pit...i had some soldiers in there earlier..not much happened. people can stand right on the edge of the pit and all they do is get interrupted by imps.
Report Spam   Logged
shoruke
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 06:37:22 pm »

Try stationing (melee) military dwarves on the lip of the volcano. They won't get scared off, and I don't think fire imps can breathe fire upwards through magma. Their only choice 'to defend themselves' (because obviously you're a threat) is to jump out of the volcano... And get caged.

I think it should work.
Report Spam   Logged
marginoferror
Escaped Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 06:51:35 pm »

My technique for catching fire imps is to station a military dwarf (activated miner or woodcutter if necessary) right next to the pool at the point closest to a fire imp, then wait for the fire imp to start coming closer and assign the dwarf a few squares from the edge.  This way 1) the fire imp can't get a first strike in with its ranged attack and 2) the dwarf probably won't fall into the magma.  Then I just kill them one by one like that.  They are really weak as long as you get the first hit in.

If an imp is hanging out too far down or too far away, you can build floors on the magma, or you can just wait a while until it wanders closer to the edge.

I've never had much luck catching imps with traps.  Not sure why that was put in the wiki, but I guess the author had good luck at some point.  Maybe a magma vent that extends all the way to the surface would be another story, because I have seen fire imps climb out of those without being taunted.
Report Spam   Logged
tcei
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2008, 07:32:25 pm »

Could also try placing a sacrifice animal on a chain near the edge of the volcano to draw them out. Cheesy  I didn tget the chance to trap the ones in my current game, they all charged out and travled half way across my map just to set my wagon on fire, and die to my dogs *sigh*
Report Spam   Logged
toast
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2008, 09:20:25 pm »

well i just got one...but not through any of these methods. it came up through a forge or smelter (i thought they couldnt do that Shocked). it killed a woodcutter but i was able to build a cage trap up the tunnel a bit and it went through that. i surrounded the forge and smelter with traps to prevent a repeat.
Report Spam   Logged
Refar
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2008, 07:24:00 am »

What are catched imps good for ? I usually kill them all as soon as i can to prevent them from setting my booze on fire...
Is there a good use for them ? Can they be trained ?
Report Spam   Logged
Deon
Bay Watcher

Dwarf Drunk

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2008, 08:19:00 am »

You can make a "fire trap" for invaders; put them in a room and open a wall when ambushers come; make sure there's a channel to prevent imps from being attacked; works best against melee enemies because archers dispatch imps easily.

P.S. It must be very sad to lose a dwarf to a fire imp... Because the bugger has the size of a cat.
Report Spam   Logged
toast
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2008, 12:23:40 pm »

i have two plans...one being of course, the war imp. i just havent figured out how to use him because of their weakness problem. My second imp will be used for an incinerator. cuz its way cooler to burn your garbage then to chasm it.

I used a dragon for this once...it works fairly well as long as there is a good chimney, and no way for the dwarves to retrieve the burning garbage.
Report Spam   Logged
Deon
Bay Watcher

Dwarf Drunk

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2008, 01:26:19 pm »

i have two plans...one being of course, the war imp. i just havent figured out how to use him because of their weakness problem. My second imp will be used for an incinerator. cuz its way cooler to burn your garbage then to chasm it.

I used a dragon for this once...it works fairly well as long as there is a good chimney, and no way for the dwarves to retrieve the burning garbage.

If you want a war imp, add [trAINABLE] token to IMP_FIRE creature in /raw/objects/creature_subterranean.txt.
Report Spam   Logged
toast
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2008, 02:17:14 pm »

already done :}. just cant decide what to actually DO with it now haha. I need somewhere for him to chill where marksgobbos cant get him. havent really done much planning on that yet.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum