Dwarves With A Passion
March 28, 2024, 11:36:07 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Dwarves With A Passion!

Home Help Search Staff List Login Register  

Getting dwarves to eat at their own table

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting dwarves to eat at their own table  (Read 2110 times)
susancreature
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« on: October 25, 2008, 12:07:07 pm »

I just finished creating several eating halls for my dwarves, where each dwarf has its own table and chair.  Each table is set to be a dining room.  So, each dwarf has their own chair (not assigned, but next to the table), and their own table (assigned).  I just removed my "general purpose eating hall" and surprise - none of my dwarves are eating at their own table. In fact, they're complaining about the lack of tables.   I have caught some of them eating at a few lone tables and chairs that are in an unfinished eating hall I'm building in preparation for expansion.  It took forever to assign 200+ dwarves to their own table - how do I set this up right? Or.. what am I doing wrong? 
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Philosopher
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 12:29:41 pm »

basics- is there a path to the tables? did you block a door?

next, do these rooms overlap? cause if my choice was between a legendary dining room for the public and my own tiny room...

Report Spam   Logged
susancreature
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 12:43:00 pm »

Thanks for the words of advice - yes everything is accessible.  In fact, the dwarves like to use their dining rooms to store things (like coins and... dirty socks).  And while the dining rooms all overlapped and lessened their value - I had eliminated any public dining room.  The only other option to eating in their assigned dining room is to eat at an undefined table - and they seem to choose to do that.  (Thus catching them eating in that unfinished eating hall, none of the tables there are defined..) 

I think it may be a bug, or maybe the dwarves rebel against too low a quality of dining room.  After looking in the wiki it says

"Dwarves prefer to eat in an unassigned dining room (i.e. belonging to "Nobody") sitting in an adjacent chair."

and then..

"If no dining room is available, dwarves will eat at any undefined table."

It's almost as though they were ignoring the defined dining rooms.  Maybe there is a problem if there is too much overlap in rooms.(I have about 30 tables per dining hall).  For now I'm solving this by going back to having a nice public eating dining hall. 
Report Spam   Logged
Deon
Bay Watcher

Dwarf Drunk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 02:03:07 pm »

I have about 30 tables per dining hall

Lol. The value of rooms is divided by a nice value when another object it added. You basically treat your dwarves VERY bad this way. I try not to make 2 overlapping rooms (except for the special situation when the economy kicks in) and 30 tables make your room to have almost zero quality.
Report Spam   Logged
penguinofhonor
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 02:15:27 pm »

No, Deon, adding tables only adds value. The only way that adding tables would decrease value would be if you were designating a new dining room from each of them, which you don't need to do. You only need to designate a dining room from one of the tables, and all tables within that designation will count as part of the dining room.
Report Spam   Logged
susancreature
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 02:18:58 pm »

grrr.. they'll eat on those tables and like it!  

Once I freed up all all my tables, they went back to eating at them happily.  Their thoughts display that they're eating in a "good" dining room.  

I see your point with room value being dropped by too many tables.  Need to figure out another method to make the dining rooms organized..   I wanted to avoid having to dig out another 200+ rooms (and hallways connecting them)  Seems like I might have to do that.. anyone else figure out a nice solution for dining rooms?
Report Spam   Logged
susancreature
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2008, 02:47:40 pm »

Hey Penguin,

I'm following your line of thought - and maybe I need to take advantage of it for my public dining room.  But say I have a room with 30 tables. One of those tables "defines" the room as a dining room.  But wouldn't the additional 29 tables basically just be decoration, or at least, treated like an undefined/unassigned table? (Which according to the wiki seems to have the lowest priority?)  You couldn't assign dwarves to those tables..

hmm.. curious about the best way to go about doing this.  Though realistically, I think the nicely decorated public dining room, with enough tables to seat your average number of hungry dwarves seems to work best.  I did this throughout the starting phases of my fortress and my dwarves never complained.   I had only 14 tables serving 200+ dwarves.
Report Spam   Logged
penguinofhonor
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2008, 03:06:37 pm »

Those other 29 tables do sort of count as decoration. But dwarves will still use them like unassigned tables with a dining room designated from them.

I've seen it happen. My dining rooms are arranged like this:
Code:
╔══┼┼══╗
║......║
║.╦╦╦╦.║
║.╤╤╤╤.║
║.ΩΩΩΩ.║
║.╤╤╤╤.║
║.╦╦╦╦.║
║......║
╚══┼┼══╝

The dwarves will use the closest table to wherever they picked up food, regardless of whether it was the table the room is designated from or not. This means that they're all given equal priority.
Report Spam   Logged
JoRo
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2008, 04:27:03 pm »

The dwarves will use the closest table to wherever they picked up food, regardless of whether it was the table the room is designated from or not. This means that they're all given equal priority.

The tables in the furthest corner from any entrance into my dining room seem to have the most activity for me...
Though on second thought I think these tables might be the ones directly under the food stockpile, so dwarven measurements might actually put them closest to the food.  I'll have to observer them a little more closely.
Report Spam   Logged
Deon
Bay Watcher

Dwarf Drunk

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2008, 05:26:59 pm »

No, Deon, adding tables only adds value. The only way that adding tables would decrease value would be if you were designating a new dining room from each of them, which you don't need to do. You only need to designate a dining room from one of the tables, and all tables within that designation will count as part of the dining room.

What do you tell me  Undecided For sure I didn't know it  Embarrassed I am such a noob Cry
I designate every table as a dining room and I assign separate goblet and mug for each! table. Now I won't do it and I will assign all the mugs and goblets to a single table in my dining room, also I won't put 1 soap per bath and I will put them all in 1 bath now for my dwarves to grab.
I mean, he wrote:
Maybe there is a problem if there is too much overlap in rooms.(I have about 30 tables per dining hall).

That's why I thought that every table is designated as a separate room (since it's related to the sentense about overlapping).
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 05:28:49 pm by Deon » Report Spam   Logged
tcei
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2008, 07:40:57 pm »

Adding tables (and chairs) to a dinning room will count towards the rooms overall value, the extra tables will also count as part of the dinning room designation. For example, instead of having a table that is this long - you now have a table that is this long --.
Report Spam   Logged
susancreature
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2008, 07:58:03 pm »

I had 200 tables and chairs separated into 7 different rooms - I had issues getting my dwarves to use the tables when i made each table into a dining room (causing overlap) and assigned a dwarf to each table.   

Since then, I have now tried two different approaches.  One table assigning the overall dining room and no tables assigned to any specific dwarf.  That seems to become a "legendary" dining room to the dwarves.  The other approach is assigning each table to a dining room and no tables assigned to any specific dwarf.  With this second approach the dining rooms seem to be just "good" dining rooms.  So I think that they are being degraded by the overlapping. 

I find it curious that dwarves prefer unassigned seating over assigned seating - also I think it'd be a nice addition if dwarves somehow rented, or just adopted seating for themselves like they sometimes do with bedrooms in the early game.   
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum