Dwarves With A Passion
March 28, 2024, 06:37:32 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Dwarves With A Passion!

Home Help Search Staff List Login Register  

New cistern project, need help with pressure plates and wells.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: New cistern project, need help with pressure plates and wells.  (Read 9134 times)
Chaoticjosh
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2008, 11:34:16 am »

that seems super complicated, no wonder you had to redo it!

sharing time!

Here is level -1 z, this shows the network of underground tunnels connecting the many lakes. This is only a small sample of the many lakes, there are more offscreen. the white arrow is pointing to the entrance to the stairwell that the water is being fed in to via gravity.

this is level -4 z, at the bottom of the stairwell and the beginning of the cistern. visible, at white arrow 1# is the floodgate being controlled by the pressure plate. not visible, at white arrow 2# is the emergency shut-off floodgate that i had preprepared should an accident occur with the pressure plate.

further down, this is the actual cistern. not very superhuge is it? the white box indicates the location of the pressure plate. the red square indicates the relative location of the above well and the spot any children will be should they fall. the stairway to safety is only a scant 3 blocks away. its effectiveness in preventing death has yet to be tested. the water level is settled at a comfortable 5/7.

this is level -2 z, this is the bedroom hall. the white arrow is pointing to the well. the stairway leading to the cistern's emergency shutoff is right below it. with this configuraton, with the well right there, any injured dwarves will be serviced with water in a safe and timely fashion.

i'm more than willing to accept critism should anyone find a serious failing with my system.
Report Spam   Logged
slink
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2008, 12:32:15 pm »

Your system looks safe and sane.

To make a much simpler waterfall, you just need three layers.  The middle layer is the one where the water falls through.  The top layer is the one where the water falls from.  The bottom layer is the one where the water falls to, and is pumped back up to the top layer.  The middle layer needs a column of walls within which you locate one of two pumps.  Pumps will only pump to their own layer, so you need two pumps stacked to draw water from the bottom to the top.  The interior of the column needs to be 1 x 4.  The pumps stack in the middle two, drawing from alternate directions.  They will pass power freely to each other, so whichever one you can supply with power will power the other.

If you want to experiment, I would create another cistern just like the one you have now, under a place where you want a waterfall.  Fill it halfway with water, then begin experimenting with the water supply cut off with your manual floodgate.  If it is small enough, you won't have a huge disaster even if all the water ends up out on the floor in the middle level.
Report Spam   Logged
kallev-sonerohi
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2008, 04:37:17 pm »

that seems super complicated, no wonder you had to redo it!

sharing time!

Here is level -1 z, this shows the network of underground tunnels connecting the many lakes. This is only a small sample of the many lakes, there are more offscreen. the white arrow is pointing to the entrance to the stairwell that the water is being fed in to via gravity.

this is level -4 z, at the bottom of the stairwell and the beginning of the cistern. visible, at white arrow 1# is the floodgate being controlled by the pressure plate. not visible, at white arrow 2# is the emergency shut-off floodgate that i had preprepared should an accident occur with the pressure plate.

further down, this is the actual cistern. not very superhuge is it? the white box indicates the location of the pressure plate. the red square indicates the relative location of the above well and the spot any children will be should they fall. the stairway to safety is only a scant 3 blocks away. its effectiveness in preventing death has yet to be tested. the water level is settled at a comfortable 5/7.

this is level -2 z, this is the bedroom hall. the white arrow is pointing to the well. the stairway leading to the cistern's emergency shutoff is right below it. with this configuraton, with the well right there, any injured dwarves will be serviced with water in a safe and timely fashion.

i'm more than willing to accept critism should anyone find a serious failing with my system.

The only improvement I can think of is to install an emergency drain system should someone ever die, and then once you've tested it and it drained properly, leave it drained temporarily. Then, before you refill it put in a grate wall so that drownees only option is to move in that line down towards the stairs. Also, my eyes may be bad but it looks like the red box is two squares away from those up strairs, while the down ones are only one square away from the well. Could result in a no-exit cistern.

Doh, away/inbetween, whatever.
Report Spam   Logged
slink
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2008, 05:12:23 pm »

I did learn a couple of more things.  You can't draw from a stairwell, with a screwpump.  You can't power stacked screwpumps with a single Dwarf.  You have to have one Dwarf on each level.  Maybe a windmill would be better for you.  I did get my bilge pumps set up and going, but the movement of water is intermittent with one or another of the two Dwarves taking a break every so often.

Report Spam   Logged
LaylaWhitlam
Escaped Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2018, 07:43:18 am »

As you share active links on here for uploading of pictures with take of them people can get better sharing experiences. With read of reviews you can hire best research papers help online without waste of time and money.
Report Spam   Logged
LaylaWhitlam
Escaped Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2018, 07:44:31 am »

Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum