Dwarves With A Passion
March 28, 2024, 04:30:26 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New Readers: This is NOT the official DF forum!
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/

Home Help Search Staff List Login Register  

New cistern project, need help with pressure plates and wells.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: New cistern project, need help with pressure plates and wells.  (Read 9132 times)
slink
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« on: October 24, 2008, 05:58:30 pm »

Dwarves still fall into wells and drown, or at least children do.  I just redid my well/waterfall system completely because three children fell into the well and drowned.  The well was fed by the lowermost cistern in my waterfall system, and I had to shut it all down so I could carve stairways into an enlarged well shaft coming up.  I had not yet created my drain-off cisterns and so it was an awful mess down below when I just opened the lower floodgate so we could get the bodies out for burial.

When setting up a pressure plate, read carefully the wiki entry on levers in order to get the "direction" correct.  I had set mine up backwards the first time.  Luckily (?) DF crashed and I lost that work so I was able to do it over correctly.  It's very odd, because DF has not crashed ever for me since I downloaded the official version.  I guess I was being granted a chance to do that pressure plate correctly.

My pressure plate is set to close the upper floodgate when the water level exceeds 5 in the lower cistern (setting of 0 - 5 in the construction).  I set it that way to ensure that the well was kept supplied, since wells need 4 or more in order to work.  The pressure plate reacts slowly, so that the water sometimes reaches 7 before the floodgate closes, but it does eventually close.  I also have a manual floodgate to use in case the automatic one fails to shut (mine is fed from a brook).  It did fail when it was jammed by three bodies.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum