Dwarves With A Passion
March 28, 2024, 07:09:38 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Dwarves With A Passion!

Home Help Search Staff List Login Register  

Guards getting caught in Cage Traps and other oddness.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Guards getting caught in Cage Traps and other oddness.  (Read 2863 times)
cbingel
Escaped Lunatic

View Profile
« on: October 24, 2008, 10:51:21 am »

I'm playing the first fortress that I've gotten almost to the endgame.  I'm a few stretches of road away from having the King show up, and I'm starting to see some goofiness.  First is that my champion dwarves won't come away from where I had them stationed.  The whole squad of 6 just stood out there and starved to death.  If they were normal soldiers, I would de-activate them, but since they're champions, I can't.  I'm guessing it's a bug, but wanted to check.

Also, my guards keep getting caught in cage traps.  I'm assuming they're getting caught in the traps, because they keep showing up in my animal pile.  Any ideas why.  They aren't gettign squished by teh stone-fall traps, so I assume they aren't moody or anything.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jaybud4
The Great?
Administrator
Bay Gull

☼Tech Guru☼

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 10:55:07 am »

Fortress Guards are pretty useless anyway, but they tend to fall asleep wherever they are when they need to sleep rather then go back to their rooms/somewhere safe.
You could just be getting lucky in that they're only falling asleep on the cage traps and not the stonefall traps...

As for the champions..  They're not blocked off from the food stockpile, are they?
Report Spam   Logged
cbingel
Escaped Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 10:58:13 am »

Nope, they're right outside the gate, around the goblin prisoner pit Smiley 100 other dwarves, fisherman, woodcutters and herbalists going in and out without issue
Report Spam   Logged
jaybud4
The Great?
Administrator
Bay Gull

☼Tech Guru☼

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 11:01:43 am »

And FYI, there is no Endgame other then all your dwarves dying or you abandoning.
It's been an everlasting sandbox game ever since the first 3D version.
(The HFS tends to kill off all your dwarves, thus it's still classified as Endgame per se, but...)
Report Spam   Logged
cbingel
Escaped Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 11:07:32 am »

I understand that.  By end game, I meant "Done everything there is to do"  King in residence, no invasion difficulty, etc.  Then I plan to go looking for the HFS and se my fortres die in glorious fire and blood Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Eruonen
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 11:33:44 am »

Think of a megaproject: That'll keep you busy for a while.

As for dwarfs getting caught in traps, that happens when they fall asleep on a tile with a trap, IIRC.
Report Spam   Logged
slink
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 06:41:05 pm »

What's HFS stand for?  It's not on the wiki...
Report Spam   Logged
jaybud4
The Great?
Administrator
Bay Gull

☼Tech Guru☼

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 10:37:32 pm »

What's HFS stand for?  It's not on the wiki...

It's not on the wiki for precisely what it stands for.  In other words, the wiki doesn't explain what it stands for because of what it stands for.
Confusing?  *SPOILER:Highlight + Copy + Paste below*
Hidden Fun Stuff.
No, it's not Happy Fun Stuff, it's HIDDEN Fun Stuff.
Of course, in the DF state of thinking (Losing is Fun) I suppose you could argue...

We don't have a spoiler tag here like we do in Bay12, I see...
Report Spam   Logged
slink
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 10:54:47 pm »

Okay, thanks.  I ~have~ seen reference to that in passing on the wiki, but not with that acronym and I did not remember it.  While I was waiting for an answer I decided it might stand for Huge Fortress Syndrome, which I'm sure does end many a game with blood and perhaps fire.  *laughs*
Report Spam   Logged
Lexender
Escaped Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2008, 02:13:06 pm »

I always thought HFS had something to do with fps. That didn't sound too stupid though, because super-low fps is a cause for the death of many a fortress.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum