Dwarves With A Passion
March 28, 2024, 06:02:42 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Dwarves With A Passion!

Home Help Search Staff List Login Register  

So, read any good books lately?

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: So, read any good books lately?  (Read 3843 times)
R1ck
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« on: October 24, 2008, 10:03:17 am »

Right now I'm reading the Catcher in the Rye. It's a good book, a classic even, set in the 50's from the point of view of a teenage dropout who wanders around New York city getting into all sorts of trouble. It's an interesting book mostly because it really seems to get into this guy's thoughts. and he's pretty messed up.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jaybud4
The Great?
Administrator
Bay Gull

☼Tech Guru☼

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 10:50:23 am »

Brisingr, the newest book from the Eragon series, is supposed to be pretty good..
Report Spam   Logged
SharpCypher
Escaped Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 11:01:32 am »

I read somewhere that reading a book is now a conscious decision to not watch TV, play a DVD, play a video game, chat on the Internet, browse the web, and all kinds of easily accessed entertainment.  I guess that's true, because I don't read NEARLY as much as I used to in school.

Audiobooks come in handy, though.  For instance, I just today finished Stephen King's "The Waste Lands".  Helluva cliff-hanger.  Meanwhile, Terry Goodkind's "Chainfire" has sit 3/4 finished in my living room for weeks.  I really need to start setting aside some book-reading time.
Report Spam   Logged
Eruonen
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 12:02:27 pm »

Recently read Day of the Triffids. It's great!
Also Do Android Dream Of Electric Sheep. The Blade Runner movie is based on it. Weird book. Much better than the movie, though!

I'm thinking of re-reading Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy or 1984.
Once I get some money I will buy some new books.
Report Spam   Logged
PTTG
Escaped Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 12:04:42 pm »

The "Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" and "Golf in the Year 2000". I'm on a 1890's kick.
Man, they hated women back then.
Report Spam   Logged
R1ck
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 12:24:09 pm »

Recently read Day of the Triffids. It's great!
Also Do Android Dream Of Electric Sheep. The Blade Runner movie is based on it. Weird book. Much better than the movie, though!

I'm thinking of re-reading Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy or 1984.
Once I get some money I will buy some new books.

I've read Day of the Triffids as well. It is indeed an awesome sci-fi book. 1984 is also doubleplusgood.

Report Spam   Logged
JoRo
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 01:01:01 pm »

I just finished The Night Gardener by George Pelecanos.  Well-written book, though it was vastly different than what I had expected. 
Report Spam   Logged
GreyMario
Bay Watcher

The Original Starvation Master

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 01:03:58 pm »

The first person in this thread other than me to mention Anathem gets stabbed in the face with a rusty spork. God that book is horrible.
Report Spam   Logged
Qwertyuiopas
OGamer
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 03:27:06 pm »

i, robot is great.
The book is entierly unlike the movie, since it is more of a somewhat humorus collection of short stores making up the timeline of early robots in his(Isaac Asimov's) foundation-and-other-stuff universe.

You can see where the movie borrowed a concept from each short story as well.
Report Spam   Logged
ACE91
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 06:15:00 pm »

Brisingr, the newest book from the Eragon series, is supposed to be pretty good..

I can attest to that. I recently read it, and it was awesome. Definitely one of the better books I've read this year. You have to read Eragon and Eldest first to understand pretty much anything that's going on, of course. Still, considering how long it took for Brisingr to be written, we can count on not seeing Book 4 of Inheritance until about 2015...

...yes, I am a shameless Eragon addict. Tongue

Edit: Quote tags seem to be broken on this new forum. I had to add a horizontal rule to separate the quote from my post.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 06:16:44 pm by ACE91 » Report Spam   Logged
kallev-sonerohi
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 09:23:52 pm »

I'm reading it right now, (started last night) and am 3/4ths done. It's a bit dry and slow to get into, but at the midway I warmed up to the story quiet a bit more.
Report Spam   Logged
A_Fey_Dwarf
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2008, 10:07:43 pm »

I am currently reading this non-fiction book. It is quite interesting, detailing of how comics came popular in the world.
Report Spam   Logged
penguinofhonor
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2008, 10:09:27 am »

Catcher in the Rye is an awful book. Just some jerk ranting about how much he hates everything and how much he's obsessed about how this girl plays checkers. Don't read it.

Also don't read The Lord of the Flies. Nothing interesting happens until the last three chapters. Until then it's a bunch of whining kids.

I should get reading that new Eragon book. I liked the last ones. Not as much as everyone else, but they're still pretty good. The same thing happens with Harry Potter. I read the books and think they're pretty good, and everyone else decides that they're the best book since the Bible, which I also do not recommend you read. Very boring, though it had potential to be exciting.

1984 is an amazing book. I've read it twice, and loved it both times.

Fahrenheit 451 is a great book, but with a slightly disappointing ending. A better ending than lots of books, though.

I have A Clockwork Orange and One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest lined up to read next. I'm reading through an abridged version of The Canterbury Tales, but I really want a full version.

I read a lot. Not as much as I used to, but more than most people.
Report Spam   Logged
Philosopher
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2008, 10:18:42 am »

I recently read 'the stars my destination' by Alfred Bester, which is also known as 'Tiger Tiger'. its a good revenge story, set in a future where everyone can teleport, and theres war brewing between the inner and outer planets.

had to read it for ENG 376 science fiction. other stuff we read included Philip K Dick's 'Ubik', which i would call a story of death and transcendence that hurts the brain like a temporal paradox. its not time travel exactly... its just strange. not bad, just different.

Report Spam   Logged
Sean Mirrsen
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2008, 03:27:29 pm »

I periodically reread stuff by Stanislaw Lem. "The Invincible" and "Eden" are nice novels. "Solaris" was alright, but didn't interest me as much. "Tales of Pirx the pilot" are an interesting read, as are "Adventures of Ijon Tichy".

I also like Ray Bradbury, Asimov, and various other fiction writers. And Tolkien, too. Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum