Dwarves With A Passion
March 28, 2024, 05:10:40 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Dwarves With A Passion!

Home Help Search Staff List Login Register  

Dwarf Fortress!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress!  (Read 4044 times)
jaybud4
The Great?
Administrator
Bay Gull

☼Tech Guru☼

View Profile
« on: October 19, 2008, 09:29:54 am »

It seems only logical to include a thread about Dwarf Fortress, the game these forums were named after.
It's a citybuilder/roguelike RPG with a twist: Instead of building a city with say, humans, you've got short little dwarves.
...I really don't know how to explain it.  If you can stand ASCII graphics, give it a try.
www.bay12games.com/dwarves
The forum theme here was copied off their forum theme 'Darkling' so if you like this one, go take a look at theirs.

Pre-existing Bay12'ers: Discuss the finer points of DF, as I can't explain it well enough.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

R1ck
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 09:59:45 am »

Well, in Dwarf Fortress, you start with 7 dwarves(nice reference) but you don't control them directly. Instead, you tell each individual dwarf what they can and can't do, then set out jobs for them to accomplish. These jobs include things like building, crafting, recordkeeping, weaving, and mining. Some other jobs, such as sleeping, eating or drinking, are automatic to dwarves and they will do them as long as they are alive. Speaking of which, the game features many ways for your dwarves to perish, but luckily if you make your fortress worth a bit of money, some more will come along.
Report Spam   Logged
kallev-sonerohi
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 09:28:27 pm »

It's certainly necessary once those goblins show their hides! You'll be required to participate in epic battles inderectly, through setting up the proper tasks that will get your dwarven militiary armored, and armed with one of 6 weapons, (spear, crossbow, sword, battle axe, mace, war hammer) or just have them beat the enemy to death barehanded. Fortress defence is especially important in the trading season though. I doubt the merchants would be pleased to roll in and find invaders at the trade depot, picking their teeth with the bones of their emissary.

Out of Topic: It'd be pretty interesting for everyone to cover a different section in their own writing style. We could all piece it up and submit it to the wiki as part of the newbies guide.
Report Spam   Logged
DoctorZ
OGamer
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 03:52:38 pm »

What is the 7 dwarf reference?
Report Spam   Logged
Refar
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 04:01:54 pm »

What is the 7 dwarf reference?

The fairytale. Don't know how you call it in english. Something about Seven Dwarves and a gal in a glass coffin...

Edit: The Quote-tag seem broken somehow  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 04:09:26 pm by Refar » Report Spam   Logged
duke 2.0
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 04:18:58 pm »

Snow White and the Seven Dwarves.

Where in the animated move, they mined cut diamonds from the ground.

Not too many purple mushrooms, though.
Report Spam   Logged
jaybud4
The Great?
Administrator
Bay Gull

☼Tech Guru☼

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2008, 08:37:38 pm »

Edit: The Quote-tag seem broken somehow  Roll Eyes

Indeed.  And I'm completely at a loss as to a cause...
Report Spam   Logged
darkedone02
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 12:06:27 am »

This game is also modable to an extent, you can add new races, languages, items, creatures, and other things that are currently open, as this game is still under development. As this game progresses on development, we might be able to modify and add new buildings and make brand new items.
Report Spam   Logged
Boksi
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2008, 01:03:40 pm »

Did we mention the world generation yet? No we haven't! How silly of us.

Before starting a game you can either download a pregenerated world, or generate your own. You can change a huge amount of variables in order to make some sort of crazy hellish fire-world or perhaps a massive archipelago, but mostly you'll probably just use one of the standard, earthlike settings. The game will then generate a world map and populate it with creatures. But that's not all. Next, it simulates the history too, whether a hundred or thousand years, it will create an intricate history full of wars and heroes, massacres and their instigators, families and cities, et cetera.

Then you can play.
Report Spam   Logged
jackrabbit
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 02:51:33 am »

and what fun you will have! I can honestly say that it took me about 6 hours (2 days. 1 hour the first day and when i started to catch on 5 hours the next) to get past the ascii barrier. Its a lot less difficult than most assume.
Report Spam   Logged
jaybud4
The Great?
Administrator
Bay Gull

☼Tech Guru☼

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 04:28:07 pm »

Hm.
It only took me about 2 minutes.
The whole "Graphics are next to godliness" belief needs to die in a fire.
Report Spam   Logged
Zorgn
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 01:23:45 pm »

The whole "Graphics are next to godliness" belief needs to die in a fire.

It it looks great, it must be great. Just look at TES:IV.
Report Spam   Logged
jackrabbit
Bay Watcher

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 05:18:08 pm »

I assume that's sarcasm. because when it comes to discerning sarcasm, I fail.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum